How To Survive In A Highly Competitive Industry.



Since I was a kid, I was super competitive (I was that annoying kid). I have always looked for angles to best the competition. As an adult, Lowes and Home Depot have been as competitive as you can get. In order to grow my retail business, I knew I needed to be creative. Here are a few things I have been doing to stay competitive.

1. Grow Organically. No Advertising. 
The number one reason a business fails is by over extending their budget in advertising. Patience is an invaluable characteristic for a competitive business to survive. We have been growing via word-of-mouth for years. That's why you either love us, or have never heard of us.

2. Buy Direct, In Bulk. 
It may seem risky to spend almost all of your capital on direct truck loads, but it is far less risky to leverage my assets in pure equity. I usually pick the best deal I can find for the customer. If a product doesn't move as fast as I would like, at the very least, I will recoup my investment (sell at cost) and try again. Risking assets in pure equity allows me to learn the easy way.

3. Keep overhead low. 
The number one reason reason a customer will buy an appliance is the price. As much as I would like to be located at a corner of a prominent intersection, I need to maintain the lowest retail prices possible. The Regional Market in Henrietta continues to have the lowest rates for retail businesses. I occupy a 25k square foot building right next to Palmer's. It has been the most ideal spot for me and my business requires a lot of space to operate.

4. Focus On Customer Service.
From the start, I have adopted the Golden Rule when interacting with customers. Empathy has been the key characteristic that my employees and I have portrayed in ever interaction. I don't mean to boast too much, but our reviews speak for themselves. If there is a problem, we quickly make it right.

5. Service The Product:
Most retail businesses don't service what they sell. Appliance repair is the backbone of Rochester Appliance. I have 20 years of experience repairing appliances. That knowledge has helped me give customers the best feedback they can get. I will always point customers to the right appliance to buy based on my knowledge of how it's made, then back it with the best service techs in the region.



These points have helped make Rochester Appliance the most competitive appliance business in Monroe County. Thanks for reading.

- Dean

Popular posts from this blog

Building Projects

Why Scratch and Dent Appliances?

July 4th Sales Event Details